City man faces multiple felonies after alleged assault on N.S. officers, threatening to kill police


NORTH SMITHFIELD – What began with a traffic accident ended with multiple felonies for one Woonsocket man who reportedly became aggressive with officers after he was informed his car would need to be towed due to damages.

Darrell Lyons, 41, of Woonsocket is facing three felony charges of threats to a public official and two charges of felony assault of an officer, plus misdemeanor charges of driving under the influence, disorderly conduct, refusal to submit to a chemical test and resisting arrest, following the incident on Monday, May 9.

According to Lyons’ arrest report, the incident began when officers responded to an accident by Taco Bell on Eddie Dowling Highway. The driver of one vehicle, a 55-year-old female from North Smithfield, said she was stopped at a red light when a second vehicle came up behind her car and rear-ended her.

The driver of the second car, Lyons, had bloodshot watery eyes, smelled of alcohol and was slurring his speech, according to police.

When officers advised Lyons that his vehicle would have to be towed due to damages, he became angry and got out of his car, yelling profanities and telling one officer, “he had been beaten up his whole life and the only reason he became a police officer so he could be a f$%king d&%k,” according to reports.

Police gave Lyons a pen to write a statement on the accident, and he reportedly waved it in the patrolman’s face several times in a threatening manner. When police tried to place him under arrest, Lyons resisted, resulting in one officer striking his face on a guardrail, according to the report. Police later found three alcoholic nips in the center console of Lyons’ vehicle.

In the booking room, Lyons reportedly pushed one officer in attempt to get at another. After he was seated, Lyons initially told officers he would cooperate, and one of his handcuffs was removed. But once his left hand was free, he immediately slammed it against a wall and began cursing at and threatening to kill the officers, according to the report. A struggle ensued in which Lyons punched a second officer in the face.

Lyons was also punched during the struggle, and spit blood in the officers’ faces as he was returned to his cell. He was also verbally abusive to rescue personnel as they transported him to Landmark Medical Center for treatment, according to reports.

Lyons was arraigned in 3rd District Court on Tuesday, May 10, and was released on a $3,000 surety bond under the condition that he attend pre-trial services to monitor for alcohol. He is due back in court on Wednesday, August 3.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every week.

We don’t spam!


Leave a Reply